DIY: HOW TO MAKE JEWELRY BOX AT HOME
- 27 Dec, 2019
Have you been finding it difficult to house all your jewels? Are you looking for some creative jewellery boxes that will not only hold your jewellery but will also add some quirk or sophistication to your dressing table? Well, then instead of spending a helluva amount of money on a designer jewellery box, why not make one for yourself at home?
Making a jewellery box at home is easier than you think. To make one at home, all you need is some easily available items you probably already have in your home: a glue stick, scissors, some decorative stuff and a little bit of creativity. Mix all these things together and you will have a handmade jewelry box ready in no time.
Handmade Jewelry Box Designs
When it comes to handmade jewellery box designs you have boundless options. You can easily make an amazing-looking jewellery box even using cardboard, a thick sheet of paper or even the shoe box that you are about to discard.
You can segment your jewellery box for sections for rings, chains, pendants, earrings and more. Your handmade jewellery box can be colourful piece of floral art that you have decorated with paper flowers and colors, or you can keep it simple by adding laces and ribbons in the corners. Embellishments, sequins, mirrors, clay flowers, fabrics, shimmer nets, even packing papers are the other options that you can play around with. If you can paint, then why not paint your jewellery box with birds, flowers, scenery, and motifs. Show off your creativity with your jewellery box.
Now you know how easy making a jewellery box at home can be, let’s get started. Here are some fun and easy DIY’s to make handmade jewellery boxes.
How To Make Jewellery Box At Home
Jewellery Box With Waste Material
Hold onto your empty chocolate boxes, scrap cloth, and ribbons to make a jewellery box for keeping your accessories.
What you’ll need:
- A chocolate box or another empty plastic box
- Butter paper
- Old cloth
- Clean the chocolate box of chocolate residue
- Cover the inside of the box with butter paper
- Take a piece colourful fabric and paste it on the outside of the box using glue
- If you want a lid then cover the lid with the fabric
- Let it dry and your stylish homemade jewellery box is ready for use
How To Make Jewellery Box From Cardboard
A handmade jewellery box made from cardboard is not only excellent for keeping your jewellery safely but can also be an excellent gifting option. Here are the steps to make one at home.
What you’ll need:
- Pencil and ruler
- Hot glue gun
- White glue
- Take a sheet of cardboard and cut out 6 pieces out of it and mark them A, B and C.
- Here A and B will be in the shape of medical cross whereas C will be standalone pieces.
- Here A will be for the box base, B will for the lid and pieces of C will be for making inner lining of the box.
- The length of C pieces should be A + B.
- Fold up the four sides of the A and B using either a glue stick or scotch tape to make them stick together.
- Take fabric of your choice and cover the lid and the box with the same neatly.
- Now stick the four pieces of C inside the box made of A and cover the insides with fabric if you like.
- For decoration, take yarn of the color matching with fabric. Apply glue on the top corners of the lid and stick yarn on it.
- Make a design of your choice using yarn on the sides of the box with white glue.
- Add beads, stones, mirrors – whatever you want – along with yarn to decorate the box
- Your handmade cardboard jewelry box is ready to use.
How To Make Jewellery Box With Paper
Making interesting things out of colorful paper is a favourite pastime during the childhood days. Why not put that pastime paper craft activity to some good use and make an amazing origami paper jewellery box. Some basic craft supplies and some colourful sheets of paper is all you need for a clean and neat box that keeps your jewels safe. Follow these steps to make one for yourself today.
What you’ll need
- Colored paper
- Handmade paper
- To make the outer layer of the box, fold the handmade paper in such a way that there is a crease at a 3cm interval
- Fold the corners of the paper to rule out pointed edges and then fold the paper following the crease lines to form a rectangular box with a lid
- Take colored sheets of paper to make small boxes to be kept inside the large box that you have made
- Cut the colored paper in 12cm measures square from each side
- Cut 7 to 8 squares with different colored papers to make the boxes
- Follow your old school paper folding techniques to make small square basket styles boxes out of the cut pieces
- Put the small colorful boxes inside the large handmade paper box and your paper jewellery box is ready
- Keep rings, pendants, charms, earrings, chains, each in different box to keep your jewellery neatly organized
How To Make Jewellery Box With Shoe Box
Do you find your bracelets, bangles, and charms lying around here and there? Are you considering to buy an expensive bracelet or jewellery organizer to keep all your accessories at one place? If so, take a minute before swiping your card at your nearest store – here’s how you can make your own at home for free with a shoebox you have lying around.
It takes hardly 30 minutes to make a handmade Silver jewellery box using a shoe box at home for your bangles and bracelets. Here’s how you get started:
What you’ll need
- An old shoe box in good condition
- Unsharpened pencils
- Colourful paper
- Craft knife
- You won’t need the lid for your shoebox, so you can throw that away
- Because this jewellery box will specifically be for bracelets and bangles make sure you take the average diameter of your accessories to determine the spacing between the stands
- Now, make slits according to your measurements on the box using a craft knife
- Cover the box from inside and outside using the colourful paper neatly with glue
- Once it dries out completely, place the pencils on the slits and your box is good to go!
How To Make Jewellery Box With Ice Cream Sticks
By the far the most creative and unique option in this homemade jewellery box tutorial. The ice cream stick jewellery box is beautiful and looks like a unique piece of art on your bedside table. You can choose any colour paint you want and get as creative as you can. The options are endless, but here’s an easy method to start with.
What you’ll need
- 50 to 100 ice cream sticks, depending on how big you want to make the box
- White glue
- Water colors
- Glue gun
- Decorative stones
- Decorative string
- Paper tape
- Before we begin, decide which shape you want to make your jewellery box in. It can be rectangular, square or even triangle. (In this tutorial we’re making a simple square box)
- Cut a piece of cardboard in the same size of four ice cream sticks made into a square
- Join four ice cream sticks into a square, layering them over each other at the corners. This will be the base of your box.
- Paste the card board cutting at the bottom of the ice cream stick square
- You can either color the ice cream sticks before and then start making a square ice cream sticks pyramid, or you can color them later after making the pyramid
- The length of the pyramid can be however big or small you like
- Secure each layer of ice cream sticks using glue gun
- To make a lid on the box, place ice cream sticks in a zig zag motion or vertical and horizontal position over each other
- Use paper tape to join lid with the box structure
- Decorate the box using decorative stones and studs
- Drill a small hole in the opening and thread through a decorative string to make an opening lever for the box
How To Make Jewellery Box With Newspaper
Have you ever thought of making a sophisticated jewellery organizer using newspaper? We get a lot of waste newspaper on a daily basis, which a lot of the time we end up throwing away. Won’t it be better to use it for making a jewellery box and do our bit to save the environment? Here are the steps to make a handmade jewellery box using newspaper at home.
What you’ll need
- Old newspaper sheets
- Glue or white adhesive
- Acrylic paint
- An old cardboard box
- Glitter or beads
- Take 2-3 newspapers and separate each of their sheet from the pack and also cut them in two halves
- Mix white adhesive with water to make a mixture that you will need to glue the newspapers together
- Take each half sheet of newspaper and start rolling them. Once done apply the glue mixture using the broad brush
- Repeat the process to make at least 25 to 30 newspaper rolls with same thickness and size
- However, the thickness and size of the rolls will depend on the size of box that you wish to make
- Once done making all the paper rolls, allow them to dry completely
- When they dry, cut their edges to even them out
- Paint the dried paper rolls with the colors of your choice or make a pattern using colors like a bamboo stick, the wood finish, or colorful straws, etc.
- Let the paint dry completely
- Take a cardboard paper and start sticking rolls on it using the glue to form the base. Follow the same procedure to make the sides of the box followed by the lid portion
- Keep it for drying for some time
- Cut 3 small pieces out of one paper roll stick to make a handle grip for the box lid
- Paste the handle on the lid and let it dry again
- Decorate the box with glitter or beads of your choice and its ready to use
With so many handmade jewellery boxes ideas and options available, why would you go out and spend money on those expensive jewellery boxes out there? Give your inner artisan a chance and make one for yourself and your friends to help them keep their beautiful jewels organised.